Keto Thanksgiving: Side Dishes
Gluten Free Mushroom and Macadamia Stuffing
As the holiday season approaches, we’re all on the hunt for delicious, low-carb alternatives to traditional Thanksgiving dishes. Look no further! Today, we’re introducing a delightful keto stuffing recipe that’s not only gluten-free but also brimming with bold flavors. Our Keto Mushroom and Macadamia Stuffing with Chia Bread is a surefire way to elevate your Thanksgiving feast and cater to all dietary needs.
- 4 tbs chia seeds ground into flour
- 4 tbs psyllium powder
- 2 cups almond meal, finely ground
- ½ cup whey protein
- 1 level tbs aluminum free baking powder
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp dried garlic flakes
- ¼ tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tbs celtic sea salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 3 oz (84 gr) smoked guanciale or pancetta, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 10 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves separated
- 3 cups of mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped (buy bulk to save!)
- 3 oz (3 to 4 slices) prosciutto
- 1 cup bone broth (better homemade!)
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- Mix all dry ingredients together well.
- Add the 2 cups of water and mix (preferably with a mixer) until well blended.
- Let the dough sit to rest for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil a baking dish (about 6″ by 10″) with fat of choice ( I used MCT oil).
- Scoop the dough in to the dish with a spatula, it should be soft and pliable but not too wet.
- Smooth the dough down with moistened spatula or fingertips.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove form the oven and let cool.
- In a large frying pan, brown the guanciale with the sage and garlic on a medium flame, until the guanciale is browned.
- Now add the mushrooms and let cook on a high flame for 10 minutes stirring often.
- In the meantime, cut the cooled bread into small cubes.
- Place bread cubes on a oiled cookie sheet and put under the broiler on high or 5 to 10 minutes, until brown and crispy on all sides.
- Now remove the mushrooms from the pan and place in a a large bowl.
- In the same skillet place the prosciutto cut in thin strips, and cook until crispy.
- Remove bread cubes form the oven, and place in the bowl with the mushroom mix.
- Add the prosciutto and the macadamias coarsely chopped.
- Add the broth.
- Mix well.
- Place in a buttered oven dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until top is slightly crisp.
Serving size: 1 portion
Makes: 9 servings
Net Carbs: 4.1 g
Fat: 25 g
Protein: 15 g